Thursday, August 9, 2012

I will call the animals with my kazoo!

We made it up and down and through the Rocky Mountains in the Suby! It was an interesting and chilly ride, only 44 degrees!

The views were beautiful and the temperature quickly rose, to 102, as we headed into the desert of Utah! Lots of road construction in the midwest, smooth pavement... it's kind of nice to drive on, unlike most roads in VT destroyed by our beautiful snow. ;)
Turn after turn on the back country roads and the gps going a little wacky didn't stop us! Grand Canyon here we come. As I mentioned, the gps was a little cooky and we were looking for imaginary left no right no left hand turns. Ashley has never been so excited to see a stop sign in her life. We stopped at a few gas stations, they are few and farrrrrrrr between so we made sure to keep little Suby good and full!

A sonic appeared in the town of Tuba, AZ, at least we think that was where Tuba was... We stopped, such a novelty it is, I love the ice cubes! Luckily there was a garage behind it, where we got the oil changed in the car. Some nice people to talk with!! One told of us how he once hitchhiked across the states with his buddy in the '60s.

Back on the road we finally saw signs for the Grand Canyon!!! What a site! I can't even explain. We were impressed with the little canyons and huge rock faces, but nothing compares to the Grand.

We walked around, took lots of pictures, sat and enjoyed the view, didn't make it to the glass bridge... that's in another section, and saw a few critters. Yes, on my way out we saw a deer crossing sign, so naturally I said to Ashley I would get out my kazoo and call the animals! I did and low and behold 40 feet up the road, a deer appears! Call me Jane Doolittle!

Anywhoo, we arrived in Flagstaff, had dinner, went to a Coldstone, but agreed Ben & Jerry's is waaaayyy better, went for a swim and then to bed.

Today we make our final leg of the journey, Sedona and then Phoenix. It's been long, but fun and we are ready to be done with the car for a little bit!

1 comment: