Sunday, June 25, 2017

A Little Walk Through History

Today was by far one of the best days of our trip! This morning, we drove about a mile and a half up the road from where we are staying and met up with our cousins, Michelle and Anne. Michelle's we met many years ago when she visited Vermont, but this was our first meeting with Anne. They walked us over to Uncle Ken's house where we sat and visited for a while. Uncle Ken is almost 97 years old and has a wonderful sense of humor and has lots of history to share.We chatted about many different things, from our lives in America, to the family over here in Cornwall. He even showed us some of Anne's Troika pottery that has become quite popular lately.  It was a lovely morning that didn't stope there.

Later that day, Anne took us for a walk around Newlyn, where my great grandad grew up. We saw the street where he gre up, the lot where the house he was born in was and much more. Newlyn is a quaint and history rich fishing town. The houses are all up hills on narrow, connecting roads. We walked around and then down to the water front where the boats are docked. It's really amazing to see all of the boats and buildings where the fishermen bring their catch.

Anne was a great guide and then we headed to her house to meet her husband Graham and have a delicious Sunday roast dinner. Anne and Graham were terrific hosts showing us more pictures of our relatives, chatting with us about differences and similarities between our two countries, and making us feel right at home. We even got to see Graham's impressive movie collection and the amazing ocean view from their bedroom. I just loved their house and how it was set up. You would know how big it was by looking st it from the street, because all the houses are tightly packed in, but the three floors each hid a boat load of room, and amazing views. I'm just astounded by the buildings and towns we have seen.

After that, Anne and Graham hopped in our car, (very brave of them), and we headed to Michelle's to meet more of our cousins. As we walked in the house we were greeted by Michelle and Bob, who were terrific hosts. We headed to the back sunroom and garden for an afternoon tea. Next I saw a very familiar face, one which I haven't seen in nearly 17 years, Vera. She gave me a big hug and kiss, and told me she knew me right away and that I hadn't altered a bit! She also informed me she still had the present I gave her many years ago on one of her visits. We met her son David, Michelle's daughter and granddaughter Louise and Honey, and then a whole other group piled in. Michelle's other daughter Julie and her husband Ian and kids Teagan and Wesley, another familiar face Beryl who I have not seen in many years but looks just the same, and cousins Duncan and Jenny. We spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening chatting and getting to know our relatives. It was a lovely afternoon filled with laughter, stories, food and desserts galore! I mean the Great British Bake Off turned up!

I must say I feel very lucky to have had this opportunity to meet my extended family and get a little look into where I come from. Cornwall has been really fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment