Well, it took a bit of time, but we made it to London! Traffic in Boston was a nightmare, but I appreciate it now after my first outing on the "wrong side" of the road and car!
The flight was quite interesting. I had planned to sleep, but landed next to two very entertaining ladies, who were sisters. Let's just say, I had glimpses of my future with Kate. They kept the flight lively and even provided me with snacks, as Joyce reminded me how important snacks are, and Maureen provided me with a back scratcher that she gives out for her business. It was a plane ride I will never forget! We left them in Shannon and moved on to London.
Once in London, we Made our way to the rental car. Let's just say, we have decided renting a car is not ever a fun experience. Alas, we got our car, complete with GPS, did I mention the car was a hybrid? So after figuring out the gps and how to work the hybrid, the real challenge began. Let's just say the lessons of the day are: keep left, don't be afraid to go slow or pull over, be patient with the gps, keep left, roundabouts are everywhere and can be confusing, keep left, driving on the other side of the car you really have to pay attention to curbs on the left, and did I mention... keep left!
We made it to our awesome hotel, The Drayton Court and decided we needed a little nap, well at least a rest and a shower. The weather in London is surprisingly hot, and I mean hot! We hopped on a train into the city and then took the tube to Waterloo. Train had A/C... tube, not so much. I showed dad around the South Bank. We saw Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and then decided it was time to get back before the business rush.
Back at our hotel we had a celebratory beer and then finally took a nap. After a short snooze it was time to go back down to the pub in the hotel and get some food. We discovered that the owners of the hotel (who own a string of hotels), brew the beer as well. Not only that, but all of the meet is locally sourced from a farm that is over 600 years old. Pretty impressive and delicious.
Our bellies full, it was cute ol enough to go for a walk and explore the "village" around us. A few tiny shops and lots of row houses, the community is very cute. I think many of the locals were in the pub chatting and hanging out in the back garden.
I don't have many pictures from today, and I can't upload them at the moment, but there are surely more to come!
Drayton Court Rating:
Accommodations: Jane: 9 Dad-O: 7 (not a fan of lack of A/C control... not quite cool enough)
Food/Drink: Jane: 8 Dad-O: 7
I thought it was a great hotel with a good atmosphere, especially if you want the local bar scene. The location was great, right near the railway station.
It sounds awesome Jane! Please post pictures when you can and rate your hotel and food on a scale of 1-10 for future travels, such as myself!
ReplyDeleteIngrid, done! I updated the post, see the bottom. 👍🏻🤗
ReplyDelete