Well, if you haven't already figured it out from the blog title, I survived driving around the U.K. for nearly a month and the car is safely home at the Edinburgh airport! Few! That said, we did have one final adventure today, me and my hybrid station wagon.
Before we were off it was breakfast at the guest house. I sat with a lovely couple from... Boston! Yup, practically neighbors! We also sat with a young girl and her mother who were German and their dog Amy joined us, but they didn't really speak much English. I had a full English, or maybe Scottish, and although I'm not usually a breakfast person, it was really good! Then it was time to get in the car and hit the road!
My first stop was Falkland Palace! It's set in a tiny village that is really just beautiful, full of old stone houses and beautiful gardens, with a picturesque hillside in the background. The casket was very busy, there was a bus to our of older folks. They were a Jewish tour group from New York. I compare many of the members of this tour to Jerry and George's parents in Seinfeld, and Janice from friends... I'm sure you get the idea. They were all quite loud about their complaints with the castle, "oh my goodness, there are so many stairs..." or, "oh that castle was meh, we should have spent more time in the garden..." The best was in the gift shop when they all proceeded to buy pencils, presumably for the grandkids, and couldn't use their credit cards because the purchase was too small. Immediately, "well do you take American money?" I died laughing every time one of them went up, it was like Groundhog's Day.
Next, I was off to Kellies Castle and Garden. Another beautiful home, which was really interesting because originally it consisted of only one tower. Over the years, the different generations of owners added another tower, added to the towers that were there and eventually built the main building that connected them. The family that lived in this castle were painters and big art fans, so there was an entire painting room and paintings done by them throughout. It was nice because as you went room to room there was a guide from the national trust to tell you about the room and show you a hidden secret. I even got a chance to go up a hidden stairwell!
After that I toured the garden, I really wish I had a green thumb and patience because these gardens are inspiring. I suppose having a team of gardeners would help too... This garden was particularly magnificent because in addition to the beautiful landscaping with shrubs, trees and flowers, they also had a huge vegetable, fruit and herb garden. It not only looked good, it smelled wonderful too.
It was getting late in the day so I decided to head back. Originally I had planned to drop the car off tomorrow, but a last minute change in plans and I found my way to The Edinburgh airport where I said farewell to my beautiful hybrid wagon. I really became fond of her these last three weeks, it will be weird to not have a car. Next, I jumped on a tram, and headed back to Princess Street. I walked around the city center for a bit, grabbed a bite to eat and then headed back towards the guest house. It was so nice out I decided to go sit and read in the park near my house. A great way to spend an evening.
Tomorrow I will do the Edinburgh touristy things, the castle, museums and more, 6 more days and so much to do!
No comments:
Post a Comment