I was up bright and early this morning, 5:43 am! I got myself up and ready to go because I was off to Glencoe and the Scottish Highlands. I was on the road at 7:30, which was probably a good thing because it was a two hour journey with the majority of it on a long, very narrow, winding road. The challenge with this, is that although you wouldn't think this road is a main highway, it is, complete with buses and tractor trailer trucks, which make for a slow and sometimes precarious journey. I finally made it out of the narrow bits of road and was able to pass the slow truck in front of me.
I'm not going to complain about the ride though, because it was absolutely breathtaking and spectacular! The views were amazing and no picture will ever do it justice! The best part is, all along the way to Glencoe & Dalness, there are pull off parking spots where you can stop and walk around. I decided to hold off on stopping until the ride home, which was a smart plan. As it turns out, all of the tour buses like to stop at every site they see as they come to them, so for me heading to my final stop first was a good plan. Once there I went on a little hike. It was amazing! I highly recommend it! What was really cool was their focus on conservation and reforestation. All over where trees had previously been cleared out, there were youth groups working to replant trees and installing plastic supports and protectors to help the saplings.
After my hike I was back on the road. I stopped all along the way and walked around some beautiful spots. I also stopped at Loch Lomond, right as the rain started and the fog rolled in. It was a little eerie, almost like something would walk out of the lake... or swim by. By this point it was early afternoon so I decided to get back on the road. I got back to my hotel and decided to take a little nap. After that I walked around the West End of Glasgow. I explored the University Campus, which is really gorgeous. The buildings are amazing and it's a great campus. I the. Made my way to Eusebius Deli. It's a cute little Deli and restaurant not far from campus. This place is the real deal, fresh pasta made daily and pizza dough and of course pastries. It was delicious, I got crab gnocchi and even had room for a cannoli. What a way to end the day.
I decided to keep walking around a little while after that. The west end is really vibrant and fun. Now I'm back, out of the rain, at my hotel settling in for the evening and making my plans for tomorrow. A little more Glasgow in the morning and then off to Edinburgh. I really want to go to the Glasgow School Museum which is open tomorrow... it's the teacher in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment