I went to one of the greatest museums to go to as a teacher, The Scotland Street School Museum! Not only did you get a history of the education system in Glasgow, but this school is beautifully designed. It's one of the last commissioned works of Charles Makintosh, and what a final piece of work! From the little details like the blue tiles on some of the columns in the hallway, to the hints of blue glass in the curved windows at the front of the building, little details just pop everywhere. The classrooms consisted of a Victorian Classroom, a WWII Classroom (complete with evacuation procedures), a general subjects classroom (complete with "girls work," wood shop, gym, the headmaster's office and more!), a 60s Classroom and a Cooking Classroom (which I found particularly intriguing, with the work stations, old stoves and amazing cabinets everywhere). They even had cloak rooms where kids can dress up in old school uniforms. Needless to say, I had a fun morning exploring.
My day continued on the road to Edinburgh, which proved slightly tricky because they updated the road system and not the GPS. Luckily for me, after a few "recalculatings" and me reading the traffic signs I made my way to the M8 and Edinburgh. But before I went to my hotel, I made a quick stop at Newhailes House, a large estate, which was actually occupied up until the 70s and the rest of the property was occupied until only a few years ago. It's a beautiful property and amazing house! Very green inside, perhaps the color of the time or maybe it was all that was available, but it was certainly everywhere. The house also contained one of the largest private libraries in Edinburgh and perhaps Scotland as a whole, a magnificent room. Although the "upstairs" rooms were interesting with their many, many portraits and high fashion features, I was particularly fascinated my the secret doors and stairwells used by the "downstairs" help. It was just what you want from an old house, secret staircases and hidden doors leading to the basement. The Scottish Natinal Trust even uncovered the old kitchen, with the more modern 19th century stove and fabulous kitchen. I just wish I could have taken pictures of the inside. We then left the house through a secret passageway especially for the servants and delivery people. Also, I found out the the man who originally constructed the house, was responsible for the Glencoe massacre that I learned about yesterday at Glencoe.
I then hopped back in the car and was off to my guest house retreat. A lovely little place run by two lovely older gents. My room is quite cute! My shower and sink are right out in the open next to my bed and the toilet is enclosed in a little closet type room. I actually really like it, it's so bright and light with a nice big window. I dropped my stuff off and then on my way into town ran into two other guests (I want to say they were Polish?), who were trying to get in, but unfortunately the owners had stepped out. They thought I was the owner or worked here, and I had to try and explain that I am just a guest, sadly I couldn't help. After that I walked downtown into the heart of the city, complete with brilliant architecture, shops, museums, restaurants, bars, sunshine ☀️, and tourists galore! I had a lovely stroll around and enjoyed a great dinner, before heading back to my hotel. I'm pooped! Tomorrow I'm going to do one more road trip day before returning the car Thursday, I think I'm going to try to make it to a Castle or two!
Oh! And, G'mim and G'dad!! You will never guess what I saw hanging outside the Scottish History Museum!! That painting of the skater man in the top hat you have at your house!!
No comments:
Post a Comment